The SGMS provides a space to publish job openings and career opportunities. If you have a position available in your company and want to publish it here, please read the guidelines first and then contact us. Advertisements will be removed after a maximum period of two months.
The Division of Analytical Chemistry of the Swiss Chemical Society and many MS Societies have a link to this page.
If you want to submit an unsolicited application, please follow this link to the applications page.
CHUV is one of Switzerland's five university hospitals, located in Lausanne at the heart of the Lake Geneva region. CHUV is a leader in the field of medical innovation and surrounded by numerous research centers and start-ups specializing in healthcare, and is one of the fifteen best University hospital in the world, according to a 2020 classification by Newsweek magazine.
CHUV’s laboratory of Catecholamines and Peptides led by Dr Eric Grouzmann is specialized in bioamines analysis for neuroendocrine tumors. Besides, it is developing a strong expertise in endogenous peptides analysis in the field of cancer, cardiovascular and metabolic disorders, aiming to the discovery of new biomarkers.
In this context, the laboratory announces the following open position:
PhD student position in bioanalytical chemistry
focusing on the development and validation of mass spectrometry-based assays of endogenous peptide hormones in plasma within a clinical context.
Highly motivated candidates with a master degree in analytical chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, or closely related field are invited to apply. Hands-on experience in sample preparation and LC-MS is an asset.
The PhD student is expected to be self-motivated, to develop her/his own thesis, to contribute actively to the project, and to communicate results (orally and in writing) internally and in national/international academic venues (e.g. scientific journals, conferences).
Possibilities of attending doctoral school, integrative courses, continuous education and university seminars will enrich the doctoral formation of the student.
- Starting date of employment: 01.08.2020
- Contract duration: 3 years
- Engagement rate: 100%
- Workplace: Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV)
- Salary: according to institutional standards
Attach the following documentation:
- Cover letter that describes how your skills and abilities match what we are looking for
- CV, academic transcripts, and references from previous positions
- Letters of recommendation
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. Please include a contact telephone number and an email address where you can be easily reached.
Application deadline: June 30, 2020.
Contact for application and for additional information
Postdoc position on soft fruit metabolomics
Agroscope is the Swiss center of excellence for agricultural research, and is affiliated with the Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG). Agroscope researches along the entire value chain of the agriculture and the food sector. Its goals are a competitive and multifunctional agricultural sector, high-quality food for a healthy diet, and an intact environment.
The group “Berries and medicinal plants” of Agroscope is looking for a postdoc to work on a project focused soft fruit metabolomics (blueberry, strawberry and raspberry) within the frame of an Innosuisse funding. The successful candidate should have a PhD in analytical chemistry or biochemistry with strong background in LC-MS techniques. Around 70% of the time will be spent at Agroscope – Conthey (VS) and 30% at the University of Zurich in the group of Prof. Laurent Bigler (ZH).
- Design and perform LC-MS based metabolomics analysis on blueberries, strawberries and raspberries to understand post-harvest soft fruit physiology
- Analyze metabolome data in collaboration with trained data scientists
- PhD in analytical chemistry or biochemistry
- Multiple years of experience with LC-MS techniques
- Experience with Thermo Q Exactive mass spectrometer is a plus
- Experience with LC-HRMS data pre-processing
- Good command of English – French and German are a plus
- Agroscope - Conthey (VS)
- University of Zurich - Campus Irchel (ZH)
- Accommodation on sites possible
Duration and %
- Start as soon as possible until end of December 2021
Contact for more information
Dr. Bastien Christ
Group leader « Berries and medicinal plants »
Route des Eterpys 18, 1964 Conthey / Suisse
T: +41 79 129 07 65
Das Amt für Lebensmittelsicherheit und Veterinärwesen Basel-Landschaft (ALV BL) untersucht Wasserproben zur Kontrolle der Einhaltung der Vorgaben der Lebensmittel- und Umweltschutzgesetzgebung. Im Kanton Basel-Landschaft ergeben sich aufgrund der dezentralen Organisation der Trinkwasserversorgungen und aufgrund unterschiedlichster Nutzungskonflikten in den Schutzzonen vielfältige Fragestellungen. Der Nachweis von chemischen Spurenstoffen im Trink-, Grund-, Oberflächen- und Abwasser mittels LC-MS/MS gerät zudem immer mehr in den Fokus des öffentlichen Interesses. Das ALV BL untersucht bereits seit Jahren die sich ständig erweiternde Anzahl von organischen Mikroschadstoffen in Wasserproben. Die Analysen erfordern viel technisches Know-how in instrumenteller Analytik.
Wir suchen deshalb per 1. August 2020 oder nach Vereinbarung eine/n
Wissenschaftlich technische/n Mitarbeiter/in für Spurenanalytik Wasser LC-MS/MS 100 %
Zum Aufgabengebiet dieser Funktion gehören die selbständige Methodenentwicklung, -implementierung und -validierung von Prüfverfahren mittels LC-MS/MS sowie Probenmessung mit Fokus auf die Bedürfnisse des Kantons. Im Weiteren übernehmen Sie die technische Unterstützung im Labor, insbesondere für Troubleshooting von LC-MS/MS Messungen im Bereich Spurenanalytik Wasser. Die Beurteilung der Analysenresultate, die Übernahme von Geräteverantwortung sowie fachliches Wissenstransfer ins Labor sind weitere Aufgaben dieser vielseitigen Stelle.
Als geeignete/r Kandidatin/Kandidat verfügen Sie über ein abgeschlossenes Studium in Chemie (Stufe FH Master) und weisen mehrjährige Berufserfahrung mit LC-MS/MS Analysen auf, bevorzugt in der Rückstandsuntersuchung von Trinkwasser- oder Umweltproben. Wir erwarten ein hohes Mass an Selbstständigkeit, zielorientiertes Arbeiten, Teamfähigkeit sowie gute Kommunikationsfähigkeiten.
Für weitere Auskünfte steht Ihnen die Ressortleiterin Chemie, Frau Dr. Stefanie Weber, Tel. 061 552 20 40 oder stefanie(dot)weber(at)bl(dot)ch , gerne zur Verfügung.
Bitte bewerben Sie sich online unter www.bl.ch/jobs über das entsprechende Inserat.
Post-doctoral position in structural systems biology
A post-doctoral position is available in the ‘Allosteric proteomics’ group of Dr. Ilaria Piazza at the Max Delbrück Center for molecular medicine (MDC) in Berlin, Germany.
The Piazza laboratory (https://www.mdc-berlin.de/piazza) uses mass spectrometry-based approaches to identify protein-small molecule interactions on a large scale and directly from complex cell and tissues. The group studies protein conformational changes integrating multi-omic data with structural biology. The successful candidate will devise new methods to measure dynamic proteome structural changes and their functional consequences. You will derive novel biological insights analyzing the relationship between metabolic alterations and eukaryotic gene expression.
You will join a young and enthusiastic team of scientists working at the cutting edge of proteomics and genomics (http://thewittysquare.eu). You will learn advanced structural proteomics analyses based on data-independent acquisition mass spectrometry and apply relevant bioinformatics approaches. You will have access to state-of-the-art instrumentation and be involved in international cross-disciplinary collaborations.
Applicants should have a solid experimental or computational background, a strong publication record as primary author, and excellent communication skills in English. Knowledge of German is not required.
A strong interest in interdisciplinary technology development, and system biology concepts are the requisite skills for this position. The candidate will be responsible for the experimental and data analysis design. You will integrate different kinds of genomic and proteomics data to answer biologically relevant questions about protein allostery and epigenetics. Previous experience with human cancer cell lines or budding yeast (S. cerevisiae), genome editing and bioinformatics are highly recommended. The ability to work independently and creatively contribute to the design of the research project are essential. Applicants wishing to integrate computational and experimental biology approaches are specifically encouraged to apply. Familiarity with large-scale data sets and proteomics is preferable but not required.
We are located at the Max Delbrück Center for molecular medicine (MDC) in the Helmholtz association in Berlin. At its two research locations in Berlin the MDC is expanding in the field of medical systems biology, data science and structural biology. Berlin is a wonderful place where top science comes with one of the most vibrant cultural environment in the world!
Interested? Please contact us at ilaria(dot)piazza(at)mdc-berlin(dot)de or see the original ad here
Metabolomics Senior Scientist (80-100%*)
200+ products in development for nine different disease areas! We are here to serve people affected by diseases, their caregivers and communities. By reimagining medicine, at Novartis we will continue to transform the lives of millions. This is our purpose, driven by a strong sense of curiosity and urgency, which every day inspires and challenges us to never give up.
Our Analytical Sciences and Imaging team is ‘measuring the unmeasurable’ by reimagining analytical technologies to enable break-through therapeutic innovation in drug discovery. For our global Metabolomics team, we are seeking a Metabolomics Senior Scientist with experience in mass spectrometry as applied to targeted quantitative analysis and profiling of endogenous metabolites, and with a passion for applying analytical expertise to solve challenging biological questions in support of our innovative drug discovery efforts.
What you’ll be doing:
Here you will work in a highly collaborative, matrix team environment, performing LC/MS based metabolomics experiments to answer key scientific questions with multidisciplinary drug discovery project teams.
Your responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- In collaboration with project partners and your supervisor, design and execute experiments from sample preparation to LC/MS and data analysis and interpretation toward addressing the project’s key scientific questions.
- Present key outcomes of the experiments to supervisor and project partners, and agree and plan follow-up steps to further advance the project.
- With the support of your supervisor, assess and initiate new project collaborations where analytical technologies can contribute to answering key scientific questions and advancing the projects with decision-making data, particularly in the area of providing metabolism-based pharmacodynamic read-outs, translatable biomarkers and understanding of disease mode of action.
- Assess and implement new analytical approaches, developed either in house or externally, to augment the group’s technology portfolio and expand its abilities to elucidate the role of metabolism in diseases.
- Mentor junior associates to develop laboratory and project execution skills and share your experience broadly throughout the NIBR analytical science network.
What you will bring to the role:
- Doctoral Degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or related field with 2+ years’ experience in pharma/biotech or post-doctoral studies in an appropriate field OR Master’s Degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or related field with 10+ years’ experience in pharma/biotech
- Extensive experience in biological mass spectrometry and metabolomics including, but not limited to the following key areas: quantitative targeted/multi-targeted mass spectrometry of endogenous metabolites and peptides; metabolic profiling of samples originating from complex biological matrices and statistical data analysis
- Extensive experience in sample preparation and extraction protocols from different cells, tissues and biofluids of animal and human origin to generate material for mass spectrometric analysis of endogenous metabolites
- Demonstrated track record of publication in peer reviewed scientific journals
- Demonstrated ability to translate biologist’s/project team’s scientific questions into analytical strategies and methods
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
*Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network.
Apply through company career homepage
Celerion Switzerland AG is part of the global Celerion Inc. With our European GLP-certified bioanalytical facility located in Fehraltorf / Zürich, as a contract research organization (CRO) we are supporting the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries during the development of new drugs and products.
Due to the continued expansion of our successful bioanalytical laboratory we are looking for a
(Senior) LC-MS Instrument Responsible 100%
- Run and maintain LC-MS instruments as part of our LC-MS team in a GLP-certified bioanalytical laboratory
- Troubleshoot LC-MS instrument issues which may arise and, where necessary, arrange visits of external service engineers to ensure instrument down-time is minimized
- Perform and document mass spectrometer calibrations
- Co-ordinate preventative maintenance of mass spectrometers and liquid chromatography systems by observing the maintenance schedule
- Train new and existing employees in proper instrumentation use and assist the lab personal in performing challenging work
- Work in accordance with GLP and site requirements
- Evaluation of new equipment
- Master’s or Bachelor's degree or equivalent in science related field (chemistry, biochemistry or a related subject) or lab technician with 3 – 5 year work experience
- 3-5 years of Mass Spectrometry and/or HPLC experience required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and at least good skills in German
- Excellent IT skills; Experience with SCIEX Analyst software is an advantage
- Strong ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- High degree of self-motivation, commitment, reliability and flexibility to provide superior service for our clients
- Previous experience as a Service Engineer in the field of LC-MS is an advantage
- Responsible role within a dynamic team
- Comprehensive training into your role and responsibilities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects in a state-of-the-art equipped laboratory
Do you have any questions? Do not hesitate to contact our HR Manager Iris Rüttimann by mail or phone +41 (0)43 355 76 76.
We would like to get to know you! Please send your complete application by post, email or directly on https://www.celerion.com/careers
Celerion Switzerland AG
Guidelines for job submission
- Documents will be published / integrated free of charge on this page.
- We can only accept electronic submission. Please send a plain formatted text file and a company / institute logo.
- Be precise, but concise. State clearly who you are, where the job will be located and what you are looking for.
- Include the full name of the contact person with a complete address (both postal and email).
- The SGMS reserves the right to refuse publication.
- Please inform us immediately when your job posting is no longer valid. Postings will be removed after 2 months.
- We would appreciate feedback on how many applicants found you through advertisement on this site.